Friday, November 27, 2009

Ancient Vaults Spellbook Index

If you haven't been following or reading the blog Ancient Vaults & Eldritch Secrets by the incomparable bat, you have been missing a cornucopia of unique, new, fresh ideas for original edition/retroclone D&D.

Not only does bat provide a new spell or magic item daily, he also provides an amazingly cool "backstory" featuring a cast of Rogues: Chalk (the ever suffering mage), Koram (about as close to Yeagar from Nodwick as you can get...), Gynbaro (a thief - 'nuff said) and Valence (the creepy Spider cleric - who's taught me how to play a Chaotic cleric). Pursued by Stork and Vistus, the Blue Mage, this band of outlaws rips through more spells and items than you can imagine, but the story never gets old. Bat releases all this material under a Creative Commons Non-Commercial Sharealike license, open to all as long as he gets attribution.

I've started going to his site regularly using google "site" searches keyed on various similarities of his posts - this is because he doesn't tag or categorize his site! :) I don't mind one bit, I'd rather he use that creative force and keep on doing what he does, and I'll be the librarian.

So, for your ease of use, here are links to Google Searches of his site to present an "index" of sorts to bat's amazing collection of spells and magic items. I can't guarantee the searches will be 100% accurate, but they get the job done until Bat goes mad, publishes a book on all this stuff and makes off with at least my money.

Arcane Spells
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4
Level 5
Level 6
Level 7
Level 8
Level 9
Level 10

Divine Spells
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4
Level 5
Level 6 (none yet as of 11/27/09)
Level 7
Level 8 (none yet as of 11/27/09)
Level 9 (none yet as of 11/27/09)
Level 10 (none yet as of 11/27/09)

Magic Items

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really don't know what to say other than thank you so very much.

The category thing did escape me, and I should get to it quite soon before I do go mad.

I just began the blog to give something back because I do appreciate all of the efforts in the OSR out there. Now I am driven, rain or shine, sick or healthy, to post something every day. If anyone out there can grab something or find a bit of inspiration here and there, than it is all worthwhile.

The blog and that scruffy band of rogues have been a great way to unwind, too, as my mom had almost died this last summer and was in the Intensive Care Unit. When the hospital kicked me out for the day, I was here, doing this and trying to think positive thoughts.

I do have a few plans for Chalk and the crew that go beyond the blog and I have a document that is a collection of the most popular posts of the first three months, cleaned up and added to, that I need to layout and get into print.

Thank you again, for your post and for indexing the blog, I appreciate both more than you know.

Ragnorakk said...

Thanks much - this is a handy resource! Have thought about creating indexes for Grognardia, but man - a lot of work!

Thanks!

bliss_infinte said...

Thanks for the post. I love Bat's stuff but it was always hard to see all the goodness in one keystroke.

Anonymous said...

...until Bat goes mad, publishes a book on all this stuff and makes off with at least my money

Part of my daily ritual is visiting Bat's blog and pasting his offerings into various Word docs - Druidic Spells, Magic Items, etc. But even though I've collected the lot, I'd happily pay the man money for his work - he deserves it and this sort of creativity needs to be encouraged.

marjasall said...

It's cool and useful material. I've been compiling it into a categorized PDF for a couple months now (for my own use, of course).

Anonymous said...

I took my link down when you departed, then just realized that you kept this. So I re-linked. Thanks you again for hosting this, I do appreciate it.