Thursday, June 4, 2009

Swords & Wizardry Quick Start

Posting has been very slow for me this week for a number of personal and work related reasons - as well as that I'm going on a much needed mini-vacation up north into the woods of Wisconsin. No, I'm not LARP'ing, but it will be a nice camping trip to recharge the batteries and spend quiet time with The Princess Wife.

I've also been swamped with commitments to my Examiner.com column, to my GameCryer monthly miniatures-related review column and various projects, such as judging the One Page Dungeon Contest. I've also taken on a personal project that will help me at Gen-Con and also address an interesting need in the Swords & Wizardry world - a Quick Start set of rules.

I've based this in part on the idea that Jeff Rients came up with for his Winterwar game - a players handout that gave chargen and class rules in one page. I've added more content that would allow a player to take this portion of the Quick Start and roll up a character in 10 minutes or less. I've also got a Game Referee part that will include rules on combat, help on running a dungeon and a fully fleshed out key for the sample dungeon shown in the Core Rules book.

It's my goal that someone could take this, print it out and be playing tonight with a group of friends as first level characters.

I'm getting through it slowly - given the other commitments, but I'm a good chunk of the way there. I'm mainly filling out the dungeon key as well as dropping in "HOW-TOS" within the key, such as adjudicating poison saving throws, or dealing with combat with unintelligent monsters. Once I'm done, I'll release it, free of course, for your use.

So don't expect to hear from me until Tuesday - in the meantime, Game On! and Have Fun!

8 comments:

Rick Krebs said...

Bringing back pleasant memories of heading to the "North Woods".

Timeshadows said...

Be safe! :D

Rae7910819 said...

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Still up for helping if you need it.

E.G.Palmer said...

Dude, you're just a rpg material producing machine! I don't know how you have the energy to put out all the stuff you do. Go, recharge, eat some cheese.

Anonymous said...

LARPERs often deny their nefarious doings.


Have fun, don't tear your tights!

Anonymous said...

This sounds exciting. Looking forward to it.

taichara said...

Sounds cool :3 I'm looking forward to it --